Nearby Notifications by Google is a great tool that allows you to reach out to Android device users through beacons, without the need of having your own mobile app. All details about Nearby Notifications are described in Google's own documentation, so we are not going into much details about them.
The purpose of this article is to highlight the things needed to work with Nearby Notifications in terms of beacon configurations through Kontakt.io and then, configurations needed on Google's beacon platform.
Kontakt.io - Configuring beacons.
On Kontakt.io side, all you need is to configure your beacons as described below:
1. Configure your beacon on the Kontakt.io Web Panel with Eddystone UID.
2. Then you will need to synchronize the changes using Kontakt.io Administration apps, as described on the following articles:
Google - Creating a project, register beacons and create message.
1. First you need to create a project con Google's Cloud Platform. You need to do this before moving to the next step. These are the steps:
- Launch the app and select the Google Developer project you want to use. Keep your beacons close to your device.
- Select one of the beacons under the Eddystone UID. This step is specially important, since you can only register those beacons.
- On the selected beacon detail, under Registration, click on the Description field.
- Add a description for your beacon and click the top right to save.
- The beacon should then appear under the Registered tab.
- Go to the Google Beacon Dashboard, and select your project from the list of available ones.
- Select one beacon from the list by clicking on it.
To add a Nearby Notification attachment:
- Click View beacon details and select Nearby Notifications.
- Enter a Title and two-letter language code. The language code has to match that of the device.
- Select either Production mode or Debug mode.
- Click Web URL and choose the type of URL to add (Web URL, App intent, or Free-form App Intent).
- Fill in the corresponding fields for the selected URL type. Make sure you validate your URLs here, before creating your message.
- Click Create to add the notification and then click Save.
Make sure that your attachment follows the data format described in this article..