A beacon is a small, electronic device based on Bluetooth Low Energy® which broadcasts radio signals called advertising packets.
These signals can be received by any device which is in range and equipped with Bluetooth 4.0 e.g. smartphones such as Apple iPhone™ 5S or Samsung™ Galaxy S5. Devices do no need to 'pair' with beacons to be able to receive advertising packets.
When a mobile device receives an advertising packet, the distance and relative location from the Beacon can be calculated without the need for other systems such as GPS. This ability creates many opportunities to use Beacons, for example, content can be loaded from the Internet to smartphone when it gets close to a given beacon.
Beacons are equipped with a single CR2477 coin battery which, thanks to the beacon's low power consumption, can run for up to 24 months on default settings.
The maximum range of the broadcast signal depends on the transmission power setting, as well as the environment devices are in as the signal can be diffracted or absorbed.
By default, transmission power is set to -12 dBm, and the default advertising interval is 350ms. These two values and other parameters, can be set by the user by connecting to a beacon.
Users may also update firmware over the air or restore beacons to their default settings.
- Broadcast advertising packets based on Bluetooth LE® (4.0)
- Compatibility with all Bluetooth 4.0 devices
- Compatibility with both Apple iBeacon™ standard and Google Eddystone™ standard
- Configurable parameters protected by password:
* Proximity UUID, Major and Minor values
* Device name
* Transmission power level
* Advertising interval
- Over-the-air firmware upgrade
- Low power consumption
- Up to 24 months of each battery operation life at default settings
- Weather-proof hardware casing allowing for outdoor usage
Come and visit our product page for more different products with detailed information.