Please note that Panel Location is legacy functionality and we recommend to use Smart Location in Cloud Panel. For more details please check document Smart Location setup
What are Locations and why do you need them?
A location is simply a group of beacons. It’s a grouping that exists only in the cloud: you can easily regroup your beacons into any kind of location that you want without requiring that you synchronize the beacons before changes are applied. Usually, a location represents a physical venue where the beacons are deployed. It could be anything—a shelf, room, floor, or entire building.
Let’s say you have two offices—in London and New York—and you’re beaconizing them both. You could create two locations: “London office” and “New York office”, and assign all your beacons deployed in London to “London office”, and all beacons deployed in New York to “New York office”.
This way, if you want to change settings of one beacon, you may easily find it by choosing the location to which it is assigned instead of browsing them all. Further, if you want to change the settings of all of the beacons in your New York office, you can easily select just that group for the changes without having to look up each beacon unique Id individually.
As you can see, locations enable you to group and organize your beacons and gateways so they’re easier to locate in the Kontakt.io Panel.
How to create a Location
- In your Web Panel, go to Locations > Location list.
- Click on ADD LOCATION.
- Assign a name to your Location and add a short description (optional)
- Click CREATE LOCATION — your new location is created!
How to add beacons or gateways to a location
Once you have created your location, you need to assign devices to it. To do so,
- Select the desired location and click the 'assign devices' button. You will see a list of all your beacons.
- Select those you want to assign and click on the 'Assign' dropdown and select the 'Assign to Location' option, and confirm by clicking OK.
Your beacons are added to your location — you can see all the beacons assigned to a Location in the section "Devices in Location".