These instructions will take you from Portal Light unboxing through full integration between the device and the Kontakt.io Cloud to Bluetooth scanning results.
The process of setting up Portal Light is divided into the following stages:
- Setting up a default wifi network for Portal Light. (approximately 5 min)
- Adding Portal Light to your Kontakt.io Panel and location setup (approximately 15 min)
- Portal Light Custom network setup in your Kontakt.io Panel (takes approximately 5 minutes)
Portal Light Device Setup Requirements
- Portal Light device
- Power socket (Europe/USA/UK: 90V-240V AC)
- Kontakt.io Panel account
- WiFi network (2.4 GHz) or mobile Hotspot
- WiFi administration access (for custom WiFi network setup)
Setting up Default Network Connection for Portal Light
When you plug your Portal Light for the first time it will automatically start searching for it’s default WiFi network. You need to set up this network to enable full functionality of the device.
Connecting Portal Light to the default network is a crucial step that will allow your Portal Light to scan Bluetooth devices, upload scanning data to the cloud and later on connect to your own custom WiFi network (we will explain how to connect Portal Light to your own custom WiFi network in the next step). The Default network also applies in the case when your Portal Light loses the connection with your own custom WiFi then automatically it will reconnect to the default network (whenever this network is available).
Portal Light Initial Network Connection
Step 1. Set up a default network on your access point or mobile phone hotspot using the parameters below.
- SSID - kontaktDeployment
- Password - LTPGjjwp256
- Network security - WPA, WPA2-PSK, WEP
- WiFi Frequency - 2.4 GHz
NOTE: Customers can request to have their network name and password preconfigured on the Portal Light during the production. Network details and Kontakt.io Panel account need to be provided when ordering Portal Lights.
Step 2. Plug in your Portal Light to a power socket.
The device will start and you will see the following LED sequence on the device:
- RED LED (up to 5 sec) - the device is starting up
- BLUE LED blinking (up to a few minutes) - Firmware upgrade in progress
- YELLOW LED blinking (up to 1 minute) - Connected to default network - waiting for time synchronization
- YELLOW LED solid - The Portal Light is now scanning Bluetooth devices and sending data to the cloud. Now you can also reconfigure Portal Light to any other WiFi network via the Panel.
- GREEN LED solid - The Portal Light is scanning Bluetooth devices and sending data to the cloud. Portal Light is connected to a custom network configured by the user.
Note: In case of a RED LED status - no default network available and no new network configured on the Portal Light yet. Please check your default network if credentials are ok and if it’s on 2.4 GHz.
Stage completed - You have connected Portal Light into the factory default network.
Now you can :
- Associate Portal Light with your Panel account
- Preview BLE detection results in the Kontakt.io Panel -> GATEWAYS -> Overview
- Preview BLE detection results via API
Next stage(mandatory): Adding Portal Light to your Panel account
Next stage(optional): Your custom network configuration.
Adding Portal Light to Your Kontakt.io Panel Account
Step 1. Create an account or log in to your existing Kontakt.io Panel account
Step 2. Add Portal Light devices to your account using your Order ID
Devices successfully connected with your Kontakt.io account. Now you can assign Portal Light to Location.
Assigning Portal Light to your Location
Step 1. Go to LOCATIONS -> Location list and click on the “ADD LOCATION” or when setting up your first location "CREATE LOCATION" button.
Step 2. Fill in the Location details and click the “NEXT STEP” button.
Step 3. Click on “ADD BUILDING” and upload a map of the location
Step 4. Adjust the floor plan placement on the map by using a rotate scale and move icons on the plan. Next click on the “SAVE LOCATION” button. Your location is ready now.
Step 5. Go to the GATEWAYS list section. Choose your Portal Light. Note your Portal Light ID can be found on the device sticker. Click on the checkbox, hover over ASSIGN and select Assign to Location.
Step 6. Go to LOCATIONS. Choose your Location and go to the DEPLOYMENT tab.
In the Deployment tab click on the green START PLACING button to simply drag and drop your gateway on the map where it is installed.
Click on the “STOP PLACING” button to finish the process.
Once your Portal Light is placed on a virtual map, plugged in (a specific physical location e.g. Conference Room 5 ), and connected to the network all the beacons and tags that are then scanned by that Portal Light will be automatically associated to the Conference Room 5.
To see a quick preview of BLE scanning results go to Panel, Gateways section and Overview.
NOTE: Do not unplug your Portal Light during the setup process until the LED status is solid YELLOW or solid GREEN.
Stage completed - You have added Portal Light into your Kontakt.io Panel account.
Next step - You can start custom network configuration.
Portal Light Custom Network Setup using Kontakt.io Panel:
These instructions show how you can change the Portal Light configuration from the default network to your custom WiFi.
- Portal light powered up
- Portal Light connected to default (SSID: kontaktDeployment) network. Device LED status is solid YELLOWStep 1. Login to your Panel account
Step 1. Go to the GATEWAYS -> Gateways list section and click on EDIT next to your Portal Light.
Step 2. Fill in the WiFi network properties with your network name and password. Click on SAVE CHANGES
Wait for up to 5 mins. Portal Light will automatically download new network credentials via WiFi. LED will blink Blue > Green > Blue ending with solid GREEN when successfully connected to your custom WiFi network.
NOTE: If after 5 minutes your Portal Light still flashes RED, please double check your WiFi credentials and repeat the WiFi network setup.
NOTE: Now you can connect with open and personal networks. Enterprise Networks will be supported in the near future.
Stage completed - You have connected Portal Light to your custom network.
Now you can - preview BLE detection results in Panel or via API and Data Streams.
Congratulations setup process completed!